Calcium and protein-packed macaroni & cheese!
– 375g macaroni (preferably whole-wheat)
– 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
– 2 Tbsp flour
– 1.5 Cups milk
– 250g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
– 2 Tsp mustard powder (optional)
– 1 Tsp garlic powder (optional)
– Black pepper, to taste
– 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
– Boil macaroni until al dente
– In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter/ margarine
– Add flour and stir until combined
– Gradually add milk, whisking to avoid lumps
– Add seasonings.
– Add grated cheese, reserving some for topping. Stir until completely melted and smooth.
– Place cooked macaroni in casserole dish. Stir in sauce. Cover with bread crumbs and some grated cheese.
– Broil until cheese is golden.