This recipe for Smoked Salmon Fettuccine is a family favourite. It is deceptively easy to prepare and despite the creamy nature of the sauce, does not contain any cream!
– 375g fettuccine, preferably whole-grain
– 2 Tbsp butter
– 1/2 red onion, minced
– 2 Tbsp flour
– 2. 5 cups milk
– 150g smoked salmon, chopped (I find it easier to chop from frozen)
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (or 2 Tbsp dried)
– Freshly ground black pepper
– Boil pasta until al dente
– Sauté onion in butter in a large saucepan until translucent.
– Add flour to onions and stir until coated.
– Gradually add milk, a bit at a time, and whisk to avoid lumps.
– Add smoked salmon and dill, stirring often.
– Add pepper to taste
– Toss fettuccine with sauce, reserving some to top.