It’s that time of year… plus, I accidentally overdid it with the tomatoes when ordering my @lufafarms basket this week 🍅🙄🍅 Great excuse to whip up a batch of tomato soup. Served with a grilled cheese, I’m convinced there’s no better food combo!
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 Onion, chopped
– 2 Tbsp butter/ oil
– 3 Cups tomatoes, chopped
– 5 Cups vegetable stock
– 2 Tbsp butter
– 2 Tbsp flour
– 2 tsp basil, dried
– Salt, pepper to taste
– Fresh basil for topping
1) Saute garlic & onion in oil until fragrant.
2) Add chopped tomatoes, stir to coat. Add vegetable stock. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, about 20 minutes.
3) Use immersion blender to blend soup until smooth. Optional: strain out tomato skins, or leave in for extra fibre.
3) Prepare « roux » to thicken soup. Melt butter in small saucepan. Add flour and stir until becomes golden paste. Gradually add a couple of ladels of soup and whisk in with paste until thick sauce forms. Add roux mixture back to soup and stir in. Season with dried basil, salt & pepper. Simmer for a few more minutes.
4) Top with fresh basil to serve. Enjoy!