Here is my recipe for a vegetarian version of the Mexican dish, Tortilla Soup:
– 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 small onion, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 bell peppers, chopped
– 3 Tbsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp hot chilli powder (or 1 small jalapeño, seeded and chopped)
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
– 1 (14 oz) can corn kernels, drained
– 1 (19 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
– 2 L vegetable broth
– 1 avocado, diced
– Toasted tortilla strips (I slice tortillas and toss them with some oil, garlic powder and chilli powder then bake for 10 minutes. Can also be replaced by tortilla chips)
– Grated/ crumbled cheese (cheddar or feta)
– Fresh lime juice (optional)
– Chopped cilantro
– Heat oil in large pot and sauté onion and garlic until fragrant and translucent
– Add cumin and peppers. Stir until tender.
– Add remaining soup ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmerfor 15-20 minutes.
– Divide into bowl and top with garnishes. Serve immediately.